Re: private directories

From: Muhali
Subject: Re: private directories
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 07:51:11 -0800 (PST)

> I've never liked that data files could also be found by searching a
> list of directories and I find the idea of also searching private
> directories quite strange.

I agree. But the big appeal of octave is, for the user at least, its matlab
compatibility, so that code that has been developed elsewhere can be run
from octave.

For me this case occurs constantly, for example with M-MAP
(http://www.eos.ubc.ca/~rich/map.html), and of course I would like to be
able to run the code as smoothly as possible. Glitches like the one
described here hinder that and are, from the user perspective, an annoyance.

Compatibility should remain high priority for octave, even if it means
sacrificing some coding stnadards.

M.