Problems with fileread

From: Terry Duell
Subject: Problems with fileread
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 10:45:37 +1100

Hullo All,
I am running Octave 3.6.1, and have encountered a difficulty with fileread.
I am advised that the code segment (runtestdata.m) below which reads the test data from a file (testdata) OK in Matlab and displays the data as expected, but does not work for me in Octave. In Matlab the code reads the data in the first 3 records into 'header', then reads the values '0.30, 0.21...' etc into 'data', then does a str2num conversion on 'data' to put the values into 'y'.
Here, in Octave, the string 'data' starts out as follows...
0

0
.
2
1

I guess some tweaking of the character counts (104, 105) will affect that, but I wouldn't have expected the behaviour of Octave and Matlab to be different. In addition, if I check the size of 'y' after the str2num conversion, the response is ...
ans =

   0   0

Is the behaviour I'm seeing the result of a bug?

runtestdata.m
-----------------
dd=fileread("testdata");
header=dd(1:104);
data=dd(105:end);
y=str2num(data);
figure
plot(y)
grid on
drawnow

testdata
----------
 DLEFT
 Survey Date : : 30-10-90 12:22:18, 1,   Test 1, 2,   Test 2  (DETRENDED)
 18234 11.83
   0.30
   0.21
   0.40