Re: Generic Mapping Tools

From: Ismael Núñez-Riboni
Subject: Re: Generic Mapping Tools
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 17:49:48 +0100

Thanks for the answer.

On 02/24/2012 05:16 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

On Feb 24, 2012, at 11:04 AM, Ismael Núñez-Riboni wrote:

Anybody combining Octave (3.4.3) with the generic mapping tools of the Hawaii
University (http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/)?

I already googled, I'm aware of the MEX files to read grid files under Octave,
but I wonder if there is an easy way of plotting from Octave using the GMT as a
backend, i.e., not necessarily dreaming of this:

graphics_toolkit gmt

but at least some functions in Octave that pass data to be plotted as arguments
to the GMT functions (not by saving on disk) to plot the data using GMT (and
ideally in a X11 window and not to a PS file).

Thanks a lot for the answer in advance... Cheers, Ismael.

I haven't tried it, but are you looking for something like this ?

        http://code.google.com/p/mirone/

Ben

More or less, I guess the GDAL is a library for manipulating geospatial data (probably similar to the climate data operators) but the package does not seem to be able to plot... I would like a similar interface but with the GMTs (which are done to plot)... I guess there is nothing like that... It's not bad, I only need to combine one or two GMT functions with Octave, but I wanted to know if there was already worked done in this direction...