function help

From: Tom Bohdan
Subject: function help
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 01:26:28 -0800 (PST)

I have had no success with finding why the following doesn't work. I have tried many examples in Octave's Help and they don't work either.

Why is it that if you type each line into the command line then the following works:

function total=addr(x,y)

total=x+y;

endfunction

add(5,4)

>ans=9

but if i put the above lines into a m-file then the interpreter spits out x undefined etc.

This happens for all the functions i have found in the LSODE examples etc. If you type them one by one at the command line it works but not in a script file. What am i missing ???

regards

Tom