Re: Change width of error bars

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Change width of error bars
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 07:57:53 -0500

On Feb 22, 2012, at 7:35 PM, vatko wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am plotting a curve with error bars in the y direction, and the the bars
> are too wide. Is there any way to change their width ? So, it is not the
> 'linewidth' that I want to change but the length of the top of the 'T' of
> the errorbars.
>
> I have many datapoints on the curve, the points are quite close to each
> other and I should put an error bar on all of them. So because the error
> bars are too wide they all overlap, giving an ugly hairy curve. I don't mind
> personally, but I have to prepare a figure for a publication and it should
> look nice. I save the figure using print, in the eps format. Whatever the
> size I choose for the final figure, the error bars always have the same
> width and they always overlap...
>

> by the way I'm using octave 3.4.2
> thanks for your help

There isn't a good / convenient way to do this with the current  version of
octave.

It is possible to add a property to the error bar handle that sets the width of
the bars. If you like this idea, please open a "feature request" in the bug
tracker.

        https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=octave

If you're inclined to modify the sources to do this,

        (1) scripts/plot/errorbar.m: Needs to have its doc-string modified.
        (2) scripts/plot/private/__errplot__.m: Is where the changes need to be
made.

Ben