Re: problem plotting "N-d object"

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: problem plotting "N-d object"
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 10:16:31 -0800 (PST)

----- Original Message -----

[snip]

> The m-file language defines a 1x1xN object as an Nd array with 3 dimensions.
>
> At the same time, the information contained in a 1x1xN array is effectively
> 1d.
>
> In either event, I'd rather avoid debating semantics and prefer to focus on
> questions like ...

[snip]
> Ben

But you are avoiding discussing the root cause/issue causing such kinds of
problems in the first place.

To me it looks this way:

1) a vector _might_ need 'column' trait;
2) a vector _might_ need 'row' trait;
3) a vector is always at the same time just a generic traitless vector (an
ordered set of N numbers, or, as they call it in "C", a 1d array).

For case 3) transposing is a NOP; for cases 1), 2) transposing is flipping
'column' <-> 'row' trait.

A 1x1xN array should always automatically become generic vector - exactly
because "the information contained in a 1x1xN array is effectively 1d".

I.e. I see the originally reported by me problem as manifestation of a
fundamental design flaw (by the way, do BLAS/LAPACK at all have a notion of row
and column vectors ?).

And fixing the symptoms in the 'plot' family of function is just fixing the
symptoms, not the root cause.

Regards,
  Sergei.

P.S. I put quotes around <<<N-d object>>> in the subject exactly because I
don't consider the item Octave complains about to be an N-d object.