Re: Anyone working on 64-bit octave

From: Thomas D. Dean
Subject: Re: Anyone working on 64-bit octave
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 10:01:35 -0800

On 02/17/12 08:52, Matyas Sustik wrote:

So I gather that you are looking for more than 64 bit floating point
precision.

Yes. I have some problems that underflow or overflow. I can solve them with Maple, but, it takes lots of manipulation.

Tatsuro's link on the other hand points to the effort of using 64 bit
integer indexing, which would allow larger arrays but not higher precision.

Yes.  I do not necessarily need larger arrays.

The IEEE standard defines 128 bit floating point numbers, it is also
called quad-float.  I do not think that it is fully supported by
gfortran.  I assume so, since there must be a reason that I cannot find
BLAS and LAPACK that features quad-float operations.

I am looking at building BLAS and LAPACK with

   gfortran -fdefault-integer-8 and -default-real-8

This makes double precision 128 bits.

Tom Dean