Why doesn't pause work in a function

From: J Stasko
Subject: Why doesn't pause work in a function
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 08:48:33 -0800

Sorry, I'm posting this again because I still don't know how to proceed.

-----

I didn't see this in the documentation...  Here's my function code:

function plottrack(x)
  [slices,values] = size(x)
  for i = 0 : ((values-3)/6)-2
  pause
  plot(x(:,(i*6)+4),x(:,(i*6)+5))
  pause
  endfor
endfunction

Here's the output:

octave-3.4.0:2> plottrack(snaps)
slices =  31
values =  183
error: plottrack: A(I,J): column index out of bounds; value 183 out of bound 183
error: called from:
error:   /Users/johns/Programming/diameter/plottrack.m at line 4, column 4
octave-3.4.0:2>

So really, there are two questions.  One is why, when i = 28 the
calculation can yield a column index out of bounds...

The other is, as I was trying to debug it using "i" and "pause", I
neither see the value for i nor do I get the pause on my display.

Thanks for all the help!

-John Stasko