Re: QT Octave installation

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: QT Octave installation
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 07:29:14 -0500

On 13 February 2012 04:28, ahowe42 <address@hidden> wrote:
> I have compiled and installed octave 3.4.3 on my Ubuntu 11.10
> machine myself because the ubuntu repository only has up to 3.2.4.
>  I am getting used to the console-only environment, but want to at
> least have the GUI of QT available.  However, if I install QT octave
> using apt-get install qtoctave, it will automatically install the
> old octave package.  How can I install QT octave by itself, then
> link it to my existing installation?

I am pretty sure QtOctave doesn't work properly with 3.4.3. It didn't
work very well with 3.2.4. It's buggy and abandoned.

That being said, if you're intent on installing broken packages, you
can do something like this:

    1) Install QtOctave as normal with apt-get. Let it install Octave
       3.2.4 as well.

    2) Forcibly remove the Octave 3.2.4 installation:

       # dpkg --force-depends -r octave3.2 octave3.2-common

This is VERY BAD ADVICE. It will make apt very unhappy and it may
later try to fix this by either installing octave3.2 or removing
QtOctave. A better fix, if you're intent on using QtOctave, is to
rebuild the QtOctave package to not depend on Octave. An even better
more permanent fix is to help us on the new native Qt GUI in the works
or to wait for it to come.

My own fix for now is to not use a GUI, because I don't personally see
what benefit it has.

- Jordi G. H.