Re: Some OOP questions

From: Judd Storrs
Subject: Re: Some OOP questions
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 17:44:05 -0500

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 5:01 PM, CdeMills <address@hidden> wrote:
> I understand the concept of wildcard method, but what would be "subclassing
> a builtin" ?

What I mean is creating a new class by extending a builtin type. Like:

@foo/foo.m
function f = foo(p)
    p = double(p);
    f.meta = struct();
    f = class(f,"foo",p);
endfunction

Then class foo would behave just like a double array/matrix except for
methods that explicitly add or override that behavior. So in that
example, @foo would just inherit all the functions that already would
be called if the first argument was a double. You could use that to
create a matrix that used degrees instead of radians for trig
functions, for example.

--judd