Re: Donation to GNU Octave

From: Ismael Núñez-Riboni
Subject: Re: Donation to GNU Octave
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 15:24:38 +0100

the tax deductibility of donations to FSFE is directly based on the rule
that FSFE has to use all of these donations directly within FSFE. It is
not possible to simply forward money to other organisations, especially
not to organisations not approved as charitable in Germany.

Yes, I got the same answer from the same person. I will try to do what he suggests (which was also what Thomas Weber suggested me), i.e.

to offer a support contract, an
improvement in function, or any other service related to GNU Octave that
can easily be declared as a business spending.

This might take, however, a very long time, because (I'm guessing only) a lot of people will be involved in authorizing such support contract, I guess perhaps a year of bureaucracy... This was also the reason why I was not so keen on that when I heard of it the first time. My idea was simply to immediately transfer some money with paypal and get the money back from my taxes next year. Fast and easy. Of course, I still can make such a paypal donation, though unfortunately it cannot be as large as it could be if I can deduce it from taxes... Therefore, I will try to get the support contract, I guess it is worth to try. On the other hand, I would also suggest to the Octave people trying to get an agreement with the the FSF Europe in the future, if this is possible. I think many people use GNU Octave in Europe and the foundation could profit from many tax deductible donations...

Cheers, Ismael