Re: Help needed

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: Re: Help needed
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 13:20:34 -0500

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 7:54 AM, f g <address@hidden> wrote:
I am unable to save or run .m files.

Both save and load give error messages.

>Edit (with no file name) opens a window in Octave3.2.4, not in Octave3.4.3. Invoking the file gives no result.

Can someone send me a complete simple sequence for, say "hello world", or anything,  that is supposed to save and load back a file?

I have a Vista operating system. (64 bit)

Thanks,
Fred
address@hidden

Hi Fred

  I think Octave runs differently than you are thinking.
 In octave you can type commands at the prompt and see the results immediately, or you can put the commands in a script file.  I almost always use a script file. A script file is just a file made with notpad or some other text editor, as long as it is saved in txt mode. this file should be saved with a .m extention not .txt, example lab1p1.m   This file must be save to a place that octave can find it( in a path that octave knows. To find out where octave is looking for these files, at the octave prompt type in pwd  and see what it says.

 Once you make your script file and save it, then all you have to do to run it is typy the name of the file and it should run (ex. lab1p1 )   no m at the end of the file name.

HTH

Doug

--
DAS