Seismology was Who uses Octave?

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Seismology was Who uses Octave?
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 20:58:01 +0100

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 7:46 PM, Clark Dunson <address@hidden> wrote:
> We want to use Octave.  We are a small research firm who researches
> earthquake forecasting.
> We operate 84 remote sites in California, Peru, Greece, and Taiwan since 2001
> with plans to
> add 50 more soon.  (see www.quakefinder.com)
>
> Right now we are a ML shop, and migration has been hampered by the fact that
> our main data
> chassis was written using ML objects.  Our data center is a parallel farm on
> Ubuntu and we give
> MW a fair chunk of change every year to maintain the statistics and signal
> processing toolboxes
> that we use.  At least some of this could be re-directed.
>
> We weathered the 7.0 release of ML, which among other things ended our
> technique of using
> cygwin to call bash, though it did re-assert case sensitivity.  This was no
> fun, though arguably
> an improvement (if you're on Linux).  We also embedded Processing.org (Ben
> Fry/Casey Reas,
> www.processing.org) as a replacement plotting engine for ML, but the way
> garbage collection
> is done (or not done) within ML scotched the usefulness of the result.  I
> started an importer/code
> generator for the Umbrello Modeler for Matlab, but now I am considering that
> Octave might be a
> better target.  (Once I learn OO in Octave ;)
>
> Our problem now is that we have international students who would love to help
> us analyze our
> data, but they have no $$$ for ML.  Even the student version is priced out
> for them.  Our thought
> is to release our code base through SF as an Octave, perhaps ML compatible
> code set.  We are
> planning a crowd-sourcing exercise later this year, and I'd really like to
> have Octave as an option.
>
> To effect this, we need to travers two uncertain paths of migration
> (uncertain to us at least).
>
> 1) Port 7-8 classes from ML to Octave, or better, write a converter script
> (anyone have one?)
>
> 2) Convert our very fast data loader (mex) to an equivalent in Octave.  We
> typically open and
> process thousands of hundred megabyte data sets per day.
>
> I joined the Octave mailing list a couple of years ago, and have reported to
> my manager that
> support here is very good.  I also bought books on Octave and GNU Plot, but
> how to get the
> ball rolling further?  That's what's in front of us now.  One thing that
> looks very promising to us
> is that Octave seems to start hecka quicker than ML, which is good for batch
> processing many
> little jobs.
>
> (PS, as feature-stuffed as ML's GUI may be, it seems that the only parts of
> it that I use are:
> Command Window; Workspace; and Command History.  I can't recall having
> clicked any
> [...]

Hi Clark,

I find your mail enticing!

I added Carnë to see if we can help planning your port. To my
knowledge there is no script to change from ML to Octave and it really
depends what kind of ML's OO you are using. If it is the old objects
there will be little troubles with the port, if it is OO based on
classdef, then we may go into some trouble. We could give you a hand
(and to your students) if we see the code.

Also, I think form now own is better to keep the discussion on the
Octave Forge mailing list address@hidden

@Carnë: How can we handle ports in an organized way? I am using /extra
in the svn to do it until the port becomes more or less functional.

--
M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
-----