Re: Who uses Octave?

From: Julien Salort
Subject: Re: Who uses Octave?
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 09:16:40 +0100

Michael Goffioul <address@hidden> writes:

>> - Hardware I/O: I'm not sure how easy it it to talk to simple analog and
>> digital I/O cards but
>> haven't heard a lot of success stories yet. The main OS of my students is
>> Windows, other OS are <
>> 10% I would guess.
>
> This has been mentioned a couple of times before. The main problem
> there seems to be the cross-platform issue.

I use  Octave in my  daily work to  communitate with several  NI devices
(GPIB card, DAQmx card) using  NI-VISA and NI-DAQmx libraries. I've been
running  my  code   on  Mac  OS  X,  Windows  and   now  Linux.   It  is
cross-platform, as  long as National Instruments  provides libraries for
your preferred  platform: no  problem on Windows,  almost no  problem on
Macintosh,  tricky  on Linux,  except  if  you  stick to  the  supported
distributions (I  had it  work with Scientific  Linux 6.1 but  failed on
Debian Squeeze).

I'd be willing to publish my code. I'm just not sure if there is a legal
issue: as  I understand it, a  GPL program is distributed  in binary and
source forms.  However,  if you link against a  proprietary library, the
resulting binary cannot be distributed with a GPL license.  Am I right ?

Then my problem is the following:
- I have no problem to publish the source code of my oct files
- Once compiled,  they link against Octave libraries  (GPL) and National
  Instruments libraries (proprietary).

What license should I choose ?