Re: Criticisms against Octave

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: Re: Criticisms against Octave
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 13:45:29 -0500

On 02/05/2012 10:22 AM, Macy wrote:
One of the MAIN reasons I LIKE octave is that there is NO GUI !!!
...please, NO GUI  The main reason I uninstalled a free version of
Matlab was BECAUSE of their GUI!

To be fair to the other leading brand, their GUI is also a shell on top of the command line. The shell is in Java, so you can get a command prompt via 'matlab -nosplash -nojvm', which we'd of course only use to check Octave compatibility. The commandline comes up much faster than the GUI, which is nice.