Re: Criticisms against Octave

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: Re: Criticisms against Octave
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 10:17:14 -0500

2012/2/5 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>
On 5 February 2012 09:36, Chipmuenk <address@hidden> wrote:
> - First and foremost: No proper GUI - my students are not willing to
> use the software mainly due to this reason, they rather get a
> cracked ML version instead (which I disapprove of!).

Being worked on. Do you or your students know Qt?

> - No fixpoint package, I've written some simple (and slow!)
> functions to get around this, but I think it is a pity that the
> "fixed" package seems to be dead

jwe and I seem to have managed to get it to compile again. Can you
help with...

> - And I'm not a C / C++ programmer.

Ah, I guess you can't. Can you find someone who is?

> I have also tried to promote Octave to my colleagues but they stick
> to ML (in spite of licence fees that we are not happy with at all)

So, if you're not happy with license fees but can't help improve
Octave, could you perhaps channel some of those license fees to
Octave?

   https://my.fsf.org/donate/working-together/octave

One of the things this money can help with is to fund developer
conferences like the following, to which you are also cordially
invited:

   http://www.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=OctConf_2012

> While this is not strictly a reply to "who uses octave" but more to
> "who would like to use octave", maybe it helps to explain why Octave
> is not as common among EE students as it seems to be among other
> faculties.

I'm not sure what to say. I really wanted to know who used Octave, not
what you hated about Octave. I'm also not sure what do you expect to
accomplish by complaining about Octave. If you were paying for it,
perhaps I could feel a greater sense of duty to trying to fix it, but
as it stands, it sounds like unconstructive criticism. Yes, there are
problems that need to be solved. We all know they're there. How are
you helping us solve them?

Or perhaps you have already sent some of the Matlab license fees to
Octave, and if so, I apologise for the tone, and I will look more
intently at the fixed package.

- Jordi G. H.

Jordi.
I didn't read any complaints in his comments, only an explanation of why he couldn't use Octave.

I also taught electrical control and filter theory and ran into the same problems.

Chipmuenk:
  The GUI is in the works, and when that is ready then we (you and I and others ) can  work on software to use the mouse to move the poles and zeros around in S or Z space and watch the bode and step and impulse responses as we move them. Up till recently the graphics was a one way street and as such had no mouse feed back directly to octave, but this is changing!

Doug

--
DAS

https://linuxcounter.net/user/206392.html