"size(foo)" vs "size foo" (octave-3.4.3)

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: "size(foo)" vs "size foo" (octave-3.4.3)
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 07:39:59 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

here is a screen session excerpt:

"
octave:18> size(foo)
ans =

   8192      1

octave:19> size foo
ans =

   1   3

octave:20>

".

I have no problem with
"

   8192      1
"
output - it is the way it is supposed to be.

OTOH, I do not understand the
"

   1   3
"
output. I don't understand it even more since:

"
octave:25> size(a234567)
ans =

   8192      1

octave:26> size a234567
ans =

   1   7
",

i.e. it looks like the second number ("3" in case of "size foo" and "7" in case
of "size a234567" is the variable name length in characters.

And what does the first "1" mean in the "size foo" case ?

Is "size foo" output displayed the way it is supposed to be ?

If "size foo" is illegal, I'd prefer to see an error message. If it is legal,
why the result is different from "size(foo)" ?

Thanks,
  Sergei.