Standalone octave on USB stick

From: spasmous
Subject: Standalone octave on USB stick
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 12:17:12 -0800

Hi all,

I would like to carry octave around with me on a USB stick. I've
compiled octave 3.05 (on Suse 11.4) and it runs fine on that machine.
The problem I am having is how to copy it over to a USB stick. I
copied the entire build directory and launch with ./run-octave.

I type ldd octave to see the dependencies and copy all the .so files
into a directory on the USB stick "lib" inside the build directory
then add this to LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

However when I try to ./run-octave from the USB stick on a new
machine, it doesn't work. It looks like maybe octave is looking for
the .so files using absolute paths for the original machine rather
than in my "lib" directory.

I apologize if this message is unclear/naive - I know I'm hacking
without a clue and really need some "big picture" help how to
accomplish what I want. Thanks.

Sam