Re: Octave 3.4.3 in Ubuntu 11.10

From: mmesser314
Subject: Re: Octave 3.4.3 in Ubuntu 11.10
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 17:26:51 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for creating the binary package to install Octave 3.4.3 in Ubuntu
11.10.
I just tried installing it and had a few problems. I may have got Octave
working.
Sorry this is so verbose.

My OS is 32 bit Windows Vista. I am using VMware Player to host Ubuntu
11.10.
I had Octave 3.2 installed from the package provided by the Ubuntu Software
Center.  I uninstalled it.
Just before installing, I received a notification that a system update is
needed. I did the update.

--- Warning on install
To get the package, I clicked on a link at the Octave project's
http://www.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Octave_for_GNU_Linux:_Binary_Octave_packages_for_GNU_Linux#Debian_Development_Sources
Octave for GNU Linux: Binary Octave packages for GNU Linux  page.
I took the default choice of having the Ubuntu Software Center download the
package.
The Software Center popped open a dialog titled "The package is of bad
quality". It contains dire warnings about serious problems, and this message
in a details box:

I clicked the 'Ignore and install' button. Installation completed
successfully.

--- Missing libraries
When I open a terminal and type octave, I get an error message:
   octave: error while loading shared libraries: libhdf5.so.6: cannot open

This post made me think the missing library was deleted by the system
update.
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Problem-with-shared-library-libhdf5-so-6-td2312412.html

'locate libhdf5' reported this

/var/cache/apt/archives/libhdf5-serial-1.8.4_1.8.4-patch1-2ubuntu4_i386.deb
   /var/lib/dpkg/info/libhdf5-serial-1.8.4.list
   /var/lib/dpkg/info/libhdf5-serial-1.8.4.postrm

I searched the Software Center and found a libhdf5-serial-1.8.4 package. I
installed it.
I tried to start Octave. It is now missing liblapack3gf. I installed it.
I also had to install libcholmod1.7.1, libumfpack5.4.0, libcxsparse.2.2.3,
libqrupdate1, and libfftw3.
Octave started up.

I typed 'help inv'. I got this error message.
   sh: makeinfo: not found
   warning: help: Texinfo formatting filter exited abnormally; raw Texinfo
source of help text follows...

Installed Octave again. No complaint about package quality this time.
Now 'help inv' works. But I don't feel confident that all is well.

--- Questions
I don't know what went wrong.
   Is the package missing all these dependencies?
   Did the system update remove all these missing libraries?
   Should I not have removed Octave 3.2?
None of these sound like good explanations.

   Should I not have ingored the "The package is of bad quality" message?