Re: finding all cycles in a graph

From: Francesco Potortì
Subject: Re: finding all cycles in a graph
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 20:55:24 +0100

First of all, thanks to you and to those that have answered previously.

>> Has anyone an Octave program for finding all cycles in a graph?
>
>You're of course aware that there are exponentially many cycles in
>general? There usually are better ways to accomplish whatever you need
>than looking for all cycles of a graph.

That's what I suspect too.  I have been made this request by a colleague
of mine, and anyway I think it may be a useful way of starting to
understand the problem, which anyway involves small graphs only.

>Furthermore, I don't think we even have a graph representation in
>Octave.

Can't they simply be represented by a boolean matrix?

>There is this cycle iterator in Sage, though:
>
>    http://www.sagemath.org/doc/reference/sage/graphs/digraph.html

Never heard about Sage before.  It may be worth a look at, apparently,
thanks.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice:  +39.050.315.3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Mobile: +39.348.8283.107