Re: solving algebra equation without installing symbolic package

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: solving algebra equation without installing symbolic package
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 16:15:54 -0500

On 23 January 2012 15:52, Rick T <address@hidden> wrote:
> How can I solve a simple algebraic equation example below with the symbolic
> package
>
>> example:
>> eq1: 5y=15x
>> answer for y is y=3
>> answer for x is x=0.3333

I don't think the symbolic package can do this. Looking at its
documentation, it seems quite rudimentary. If you're willing to write
down the symbolic solution yourself, the symbolic package can give you
rationals in exact arithmetic.

If you need many symbolic manipulations, I would recommend Sage or
perhaps SymPy combined with Pytave if you also need Octave.

- Jordi G. H.