Re: problems with packages on two separate Macs

From: Alexander Hansen
Subject: Re: problems with packages on two separate Macs
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 15:21:51 -0500

On 1/23/12 2:35 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> On 23 January 2012 14:31, Alexander Hansen
> <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> It might be possible to install precompiled gcc packages from
>>> Fink or MacPorts (or from other sources), but I don't have any
>>> first-hand experience. Each platform has its pros and cons,
>>> and this is a con of the apple world. As long as I don't have
>>> to pay for XCode, I can live with it.
>>>
>>> Lukas

>> Fink and Macports both require Xcode.
>
> Do they require Xcode or just gcc and make?

Don't forget ld, or there will be a distinct lack of executables and
libraries. :-)

> I really wish we could tell McIntosh users that they don't have to
> install more non-free software other than their OS in order to
> compile Octave. Is it really impossible?
>
> - Jordi G. H.

Xcode.

A fair number of open-source packages require headers from the SDKs
from Xcode by default to build on OS X.

By avoiding the native windowing system in favor of X11, (but not the
official one provided by Apple, whose SDK is in Xcode) it might be
possible to avoid Xcode, but I've never tried.
- --
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison
http://finkakh.wordpress.com/