why has octave started closing the second octave's window opens?

From: Macy
Subject: why has octave started closing the second octave's window opens?
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 08:22:41 -0800

CATASTROPHE!!!

open octave, see octave window, octave closes!

any ideas?

this started after
installed Sun's Java 1.5.11, then downloaded and installed kernelex from
sourceforge in order to view those pesky websites that demand latest.

I tried uninstalling octave, then reinstalling, but octave still opens then
closes

trying to run octave 2.1.50a on Win98SE

please don't waste time telling me to upgrade to octave xxx, because I need
octave 2.1.50 for all those great plot functions, and SPEED, that are now
GONE!!!