Re: problems with packages on two separate Macs

From: Lukas Reichlin
Subject: Re: problems with packages on two separate Macs
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 22:29:51 +0100

On 22.01.2012, at 16:59, AdHoff wrote:

>  I have tried 7 or 8 packages (that
> appear to have no dependencies) and only 1 will install on either Mac:
> geometry-1.2.2. All the others give me a similar error message.

> This is the same error that i have been getting on other packages, as well
> (miscellaneous, control, etc.).

I forgot to mention the reason for your observations: the geometry package
consists solely of octave script files (m-files). The miscellaneous and control
package (as well as many others) include additional C++ and/or Fortran Code
besides the m-files. Therefore you need a compiler (like the one that comes
with XCode) in order to translate this code from C++ and Fortran to machine
code which can be executed by your computer.

Lukas