Re: How do I use octave gnuplot to html5 canvas terminal?

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: How do I use octave gnuplot to html5 canvas terminal?
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 09:47:38 -0500

On Jan 19, 2012, at 6:48 AM, Paul Perry wrote:

> I am on a Mac OS X 10.6.8 Octave 3.4 and I would like to output a plot to an
> html5 canvas? How do I send a command to gnuplot to set the terminal to
> canvas?  Is this supported?

Octave doesn't yet include support for gnuplot's html5 terminal.

I'll need to look at the appropriate gnuplot docs to include it. Can you tell
me which version of gnuplot has this terminal ?

If you're interested in trying to modify Octave to enable the htlm5 terminal,
the sources to patch are ...

        __gnuplot_drawnow__.m: gnuplot_set_term()
        __gnuplot_drawnow__.m: gnuplot_is_enhanced_term()

Once html5 is added there, you can produce a plot with ...

        plot (rand (3))
        drawnow ("html5", "plot.html5", false, "/dev/null")

I've been considering modifying __gnuplot_drawnow__.m to support gnuplot
terminals that are not explicitly supported by Octave. Perhaps this is an
opportunity to me to do that.

To add html5 support the print(), then the sources to modify include ...

        print.m
        __gnuplot_print__.m

Ben