Re: Print plots without GUI

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Print plots without GUI
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 21:14:59 +0100

Ben Abbott wrote:
On Jan 17, 2012, at 5:14 PM, PhilipNienhuis wrote:

malleor wrote

bpabbott wrote

Which operating system are you running ?

And which graphics toolkit are your using ?

I'm running Win7 x64, using Octave 3.4.3 i686-pc-mingw32 and
/available_graphics_toolkits/ says I've got FLTK and gnuplot with it.
(Note that /graphics_toolkit/ has no argument-less version in Octave
3.4.3.) Apparently I've been using *FLTK* there since the following code
works fine:

octave:1>  graphics_toolkit('gnuplot')
octave:2>  figure(1, 'visible', false)
octave:3>  plot(1:10,1:10)
octave:4>  print test.png
octave:5>

and the following fails hard:

octave:1>  graphics_toolkit('fltk')
octave:2>  figure(1, 'visible', false)
octave:3>  plot(1:10,1:10)
panic: Segmentation violation -- stopping myself...
attempting to save variables to `octave-core'...
save to `octave-core' complete

I haven't been able to solve this myself. Any suggestions?

Regards,
malleor

Confirmed on Windows XP SP3 (older) with Octave-3.4.3-MinGW (same as yours).

But with Octave-3.6.0-MinGW on the same system, it all works OK.

So waiting for a prepackaged 3.6.0 version is all I can suggest at the
moment.
(I put my 3.6.0 together from Tatsuro's building pieces but I wouldn't
suggest non-testers and non-developers to try the same.)

Philip

Philip,

Does Octave-3.6.0-MinGW actually produce a figure when the fltk toolkit is
active and the figure is hidden ?

        graphics_toolkit flkt
        close all
        figure (1, "visible", false)
        plot (rand (3))
        print test.png

Ben

If I input

   figure (1, "visible', true)

after the plot command the plot shows up. So yes, a hidden plot is produced.
I can switch the plot window on and off at will using true or false in this command.

However, as long as the figure is hidden, no printed plot can be produced. Octave returns awfully quick to the prompt then compared to when the plot is shown.

Philip