Re: Octave with ScaLAPACK

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Octave with ScaLAPACK
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 22:53:05 -0500

2012/1/17 Ivan Reche <address@hidden>:
> 2012/1/16 Ivan Reche <address@hidden>
>>
>> 2012/1/16 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>
>>>
>>> Please try to avoid top-posting. I know the gmail client tries to
>>> encourage it, but top-posting makes it very difficult later in
>>> archives to know whom is responding to what.

>>> And are you sure that this is the actual linking flag that works? How
>>> did you install scalapack? I installed the libscalapack-mpi-dev
>>> package from Debian, and I just tried with -lscalapack-openmpi and got
>>> this:
>>>
>>>    checking for cheev_ in -lscalapack-openmpi... yes
>>>
>>> I was apparently able to build as far as libcruft, and I checked that
>>> it was indeed using this linking flag (I stopped the build
>>> process before it got too far).
>>>
>>> What Octave version are you trying to build this way?
>>>
>>> - Jordi G. H.
>>

>> Sorry about the top posting.
>>
>> I'm trying to build with Octave 3.4.3. I don't think that I installed this
>> package that you wrote about. I think it was a different one, but there was
>> a libscalapack-openmpi.so.
>> something in my /usr/lib64 dir.
>>
>> Gonna get back into it as soon as I get home. Thanks in advance for your
>> help.
>

> Thanks. That worked. I guess that I was missing the right package. However,
> I noticed that the scalapack package installed also this one:
>
> libblacs-mpi-dev
>
> Which installed in my system the file /usr/lib/libblacs-openmpi.so. Do I
> need to provide this guy with --with-blas= flag?

This doesn't appear to be a BLAS:

    http://www.netlib.org/blacs/

The actual BLAS used by ScaLAPACK seems to be PBLAS. However, that
library seems to use different symbols, prefixing the usual BLAS
operations with P.

I'm not sure if this is a viable method to build parallelism into Octave.

- Jordi G. H.