Re: Octave with ScaLAPACK

From: Ivan Reche
Subject: Re: Octave with ScaLAPACK
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 00:56:40 -0200

2012/1/16 Ivan Reche <address@hidden>
2012/1/16 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>
Please try to avoid top-posting. I know the gmail client tries to
encourage it, but top-posting makes it very difficult later in
archives to know whom is responding to what.

2012/1/16 Ivan Reche <address@hidden>:
> 2012/1/16 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>
>>
>> On 16 January 2012 08:25, Ivan Reche <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > I would like to know if it is possible to compile Octave with the
>> > ScaLAPACK
>> > library (http://www.netlib.org/scalapack/).
>> >
>> > I've tried to use the --with-lapack=-lscalapack-openmpi option while
>> > running
>> > the configure script without success.
>>
>> How did it fail?
>>
> It failed in the configure script. I'm not with the output right
> now, but it was something like this:
>
> cheev_ in -lscalapack_openmip... no
> cheev_ in -llapack... yes

And are you sure that this is the actual linking flag that works? How
did you install scalapack? I installed the libscalapack-mpi-dev
package from Debian, and I just tried with -lscalapack-openmpi and got
this:

   checking for cheev_ in -lscalapack-openmpi... yes

I was apparently able to build as far as libcruft, and I checked that
it was indeed using this linking flag (I stopped the build
process before it got too far).

What Octave version are you trying to build this way?

- Jordi G. H.

Sorry about the top posting.

I'm trying to build with Octave 3.4.3. I don't think that I installed this package that you wrote about. I think it was a different one, but there was a libscalapack-openmpi.so.
something in my /usr/lib64 dir.

Gonna get back into it as soon as I get home. Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks. That worked. I guess that I was missing the right package. However, I noticed that the scalapack package installed also this one:

libblacs-mpi-dev

Which installed in my system the file /usr/lib/libblacs-openmpi.so. Do I need to provide this guy with --with-blas= flag?

I've tried to do it and the configure script couldn't find the sgemm function, but I guess I'm doing something wrong in this case.

Will only using scalapack suffice for me to obtain parallelization of Octave's linear algebra operations in a Beowulf cluster?

Thanks again,

Ivan