RE: Octave Problem with Mac OS X

From: Fitzgerald Barry
Subject: RE: Octave Problem with Mac OS X
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 08:06:23 -0600

Good morning Stuart,

 I apologize for the fact that I still need your help. I am not sure where I went wrong, however, below is the message received in a terminal window.

My daughter is actually the one who is required to use Octave for a college assignment and the Mac Book Pro is hers. Unfortunately, I do very well with my Windows PC but I find it difficult to maneuver the same on an Apple. I hope there is a quick fix to this so that she can get to work on her assignment.

Thank you very much.

Last login: Sun Jan 15 16:33:59 on ttys002 Mackenzie-Fitzgeralds-MacBook-Pro:~ mackenziefitzgerald$ exec '/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave'

GNU Octave, version 3.4.0

Copyright (C) 2011 John W. Eaton and others.

This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type `warranty'.

Octave was configured for "x86_64-apple-darwin10.7.3".

Additional information about Octave is available at http://www.octave.org.

Please contribute if you find this software useful.

For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html

Read http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to submit bug reports.

For information about changes from previous versions, type `news'.

octave-3.4.0:1> sombrero(24)

error: popen2: popen2 (child): unable to start process -- No such file or directory

error: called from:

error:   /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/share/octave/3.4.0/m/plot/__gnuplot_open_stream__.m at line 30, column 44

error:   /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/share/octave/3.4.0/m/plot/__gnuplot_drawnow__.m at line 72, column 19

sh: gnuplot: command not found

error: `unset' undefined near line 2 column 1

warning: broken pipe -- some output may be lost

Barry Fitzgerald | Manager – Corporate Purchasing

Horsehead Corporation

4955 Steubenville Pike, Suite 405 | Pittsburgh, PA 15205

P: 724-773-9023 | C: 412-480-3984 | F: 412-787-6383

address@hidden | www.horsehead.net