Re: help with legend

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: help with legend
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 14:35:42 -0500

On Jan 15, 2012, at 12:48 PM, Valmor de Almeida wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to customize legends on a plotyy axes/lines but I am not
> able to. Here are the commands:
>
> [ax, h1, h2] = plotyy(x1,y1, x2,y2, @plot, @plot);
>
> legend(h1,y1Label,"location",'south',"fontname",'Helvetica');
>
> legend(h2,y2Label,"location",'northeast',"fontname",'Helvetica');
>
> Only the first legend shows up and the font is Courier which I am unable
> to change. Also the text in the legend precedes the key which I would
> like to invert using 'right' but it does not work either.
>
> I am using octave-3.4.0. Would anyone have an example?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Valmor
>
> PS: In the above command I also tried legend(ax(1),...) and it does not
> make a difference.

Octave tries to duplicate Matlab's implementation of plotyy and legend.

        x1 = 0:5:10;
        x2 = 0:10;
        y1 = rand (size (x1));
        y2 = rand (size (x2));
        [ax, h1, h2] = plotyy (x1, y1, x2, y2, @plot, @plot);
        y1Label = "y1";
        y2Label = "y2";

The command below should produce the desired legend (please check, the
implementation may have changed since 3.4.0).

        legend ([h1, h2], {y1Label, y2Label}, "location", "south")

The commands below should also work, but currently reverse the legend entries.

        legend ({y1Label, y2Label}, "location", "south")

        legend (y1Label, y2Label, "location", "south");

I've entered a bug report in the tracker.

        https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?35314

Regarding "Fontsize", the legend function doesn't accept property names/values
as input.

To change the fontname, the legend command returns the handle to the legend.
You can change its fontname property directly.

        h = legend ([h1, h2], {y1Label, y2Label}, "location", "south")
        set (h, "fontname",'Helvetica")

Ben