Re: Color By Frequency

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Color By Frequency
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 12:05:57 -0500

2012/1/11 William Krekeler <address@hidden>:

> I guess GPLv3 but legally I'm not sure I can prescribe a license. I
> didn't write the algorithm. I only adapted it to matlab/octave code
> structure. If you follow the source link listed in the header
> backwards I think the algorithm actually belongs to Dan Bruton of
> http://www.midnightkite.com/color.html.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that algorithms don't have
owners (i.e. copyright). An expression of it (i.e. code for a specific
language) does. If you wrote the algorithm based on other code, your
version of it could be considered derivative work and fall under the
copyright of the original code. But if this is not the case, you
saying that you learned the algorithm somehow and telling us your
rendition of the algorithm is GPLv3, that's good enough for us.

It would be nice to tell Dan Bruton that we're using his algorithm
in Octave, but it doesn't seem to me strictly necessary to get this
into Octave.

- Jordi G. H.