Re: OS X MacPorts installation plotting issue

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: OS X MacPorts installation plotting issue
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 11:34:56 -0500

On Jan 9, 2012, at 3:12 AM, theta4 wrote:

> Hello
>
> I installed Octave using MacPorts by simply running "sudo port install
> octave". I can do all of the regular stuff like matrix math, etc. but
> plotting won't work and I can't figure out why. Octave seems to be missing
> some important functionality. "plot" doesn't produce any errors but doesn't
> bring up a gnuplot window. Functions like "gset" "gshow" and "clearplot"
> just produce an error message saying the function is undefined. I installed
> "octave-plot" but that didn't fix anything.
>
> Keep in mind, I have no background in Octave nor MATLAB nor any similar
> software, so it is possible I am forgetting something blatantly obvious,
> like an "import" or "require" statement. However, with "set terminal x11" in
> ~/.gnuplot shouldn't I be able to just run "x=[-2:.1:2]; plot(x, sin(x));"
> and see a gnuplot window? On a side note, I can plot in gnuplot just fine
> with "plot [-2:2] sin(x)" so I really think the problem is either Octave or
> my usage of Octave.
>
> Version numbers:
> Octave 3.2.4
> gnuplot 4.4
> MacPorts 2.0.3
> XQuartz 2.3.6
> Mac OS X 10.6.8
>
> Any help is appreciated
>
> --Alex

There is a more recent version of Octave available from Macports.

https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/math/octave-devel/Portfile

To install this version (3.4.3) type ...

        sudo port install octave-devel +fltk

In any event, from the information you've provided, everything should be
working correctly.

>From the Terminal app, does the following return the results indicated below ?

        which octave
        /opt/local/bin/octave

        which gnuplot
        /opt/local/bin/gnuplot

If either of these are not what you get, then you've installed the app in
question by some other means that macports. If that is the case, there is need
to answer the questions below. You'll need to uninstall the app(s) in question
before continuing.

>From Octave's prompt, does the following return the results indicated below ?

        [status, output] = system ('which gnuplot')
        status = 0
        output = /opt/local/bin/gnuplot

        gnuplot_binary
        ans = gnuplot

        getenv GNUTERM
        ans = aqua

        getenv GNUTERMAPP
        ans =

If you run gnuplot, does the session begin with ...

        Terminal type set to 'aqua'

Ben