OS X MacPorts installation plotting issue

From: theta4
Subject: OS X MacPorts installation plotting issue
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 00:12:35 -0800 (PST)

Hello

I installed Octave using MacPorts by simply running "sudo port install
octave". I can do all of the regular stuff like matrix math, etc. but
plotting won't work and I can't figure out why. Octave seems to be missing
some important functionality. "plot" doesn't produce any errors but doesn't
bring up a gnuplot window. Functions like "gset" "gshow" and "clearplot"
just produce an error message saying the function is undefined. I installed
"octave-plot" but that didn't fix anything.

Keep in mind, I have no background in Octave nor MATLAB nor any similar
software, so it is possible I am forgetting something blatantly obvious,
like an "import" or "require" statement. However, with "set terminal x11" in
~/.gnuplot shouldn't I be able to just run "x=[-2:.1:2]; plot(x, sin(x));"
and see a gnuplot window? On a side note, I can plot in gnuplot just fine
with "plot [-2:2] sin(x)" so I really think the problem is either Octave or
my usage of Octave.

Version numbers:
Octave 3.2.4
gnuplot 4.4