function overloading without dispatch of a class defined in C++

From: Alexander Barth
Subject: function overloading without dispatch of a class defined in C++
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 11:24:44 +0100

Dear all,

I would like to overload a function (e.g. close) for a custom object
defined in C++ (e.g. octave_ncfile defined in the package octcdf).
Currently I used dispatch to do this. I created a C++ function ncclose
and I used "dispatch('close','ncclose','ncfile');". So that

close(instance_of_octave_ncfile)

would call

ncclose(instance_of_octave_ncfile)

However dispatch is now obsolete, but I do not know how I can add a
method to the C++ definition of octave_ncfile which is visible from a
script.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Alex