help output garbled on mingw octave 3.4.3 (was: need help on octave)

From: Andy Buckle
Subject: help output garbled on mingw octave 3.4.3 (was: need help on octave)
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 21:05:31 +0000

On 5 January 2012 18:23, Yin, Yue-Jun <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I installed octave on windows 7 64 bit. Got several problems.
>
> 1, when I type “help COMMAND” from the terminal, octave gave the help doc.
> But the document was truncated. For example, look at the following image, it
> reads like this
>
> “FILENAME defines the filee it to a file
>
> File name has no suffix, one isf the
>
> ….”

My time is short, so I will only start tackling the help output now. I
get same problem. I did

fid=fopen("helpprint.txt","w"); fprintf(fid,"%s",help("print")) ; fclose(fid);

output attached (I used something that shows the non-printing chars).
help seems to be terminating some lines with carriage returns (\r) and
some with newlines (\n). The \r is causing the printing to go back to
the start of the line, but not down one line, so some stuff is
overwritten.

Do we need to patch something texinfo-related for mingw? (Sorry out of time now)

Andy

--
/* andy buckle */