Re: Package installation issues

From: Andy Buckle
Subject: Re: Package installation issues
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 19:49:57 +0000

2012/1/2 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>:
> On 2 January 2012 12:30, Børge Strand-Bergesen <address@hidden> wrote:
>> That's good to know. The package installation process may be a bit
>> daunting to some, new users in particular. So I really appreciate
>> "full package" being available. Most people have the disk space to
>> spare anyway.
>
> The last time we did this, we had to deal with oct2mat issues for a
> couple of years. This is happened because people installed "all"
> packages without trying to understand what they were installing or
> why. It's not just an oct2mat problem, for example, the nan package
> fundamentally changes how Octave handles nans. Plus, many Octave-Forge
> packages replace Octave functions, although at least this is warned
> about nowadays. Most people do not need all Octave-Forge packages
> installed at any rate.
>
> So if you do this, just please be careful, and let's not repeat those
> embarrassments. It's not just a matter of not installing oct2mat.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

I could make an installer with packages that did "pkg rebuild -noauto
foo" for all packages. Then they would just have to "pkg rebuild -auto
foo" to install. It would be a waste of bandwidth and disk, but would
make things easy.

Any other suggestions? This is making the download options complicated...

--
/* andy buckle */