Re: Debugging octave mex files

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Debugging octave mex files
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 15:24:24 +0000

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 2:43 PM, hafedh trigui <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 2:35 AM, Trigui, Hafedh (OTT)
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I did not use mex or any other command at octave prompt. I solely relied
>> on compile and build solution from the GUI of VC++.
> So you edited the properties of your solution to use mkoctfile to compile
> and link your files? Or you're using VC++ compiler and linker and change the
> solution properties to redirect it to octave headers and libraries (btw,
> does your octave release have import .lib files, or are you using the
> libXXX.a files that MinGW usually generates?)
> Just used VC++ compiler and linker  and included lib files (in the
> mexFunction.cpp) as in the following:
> #pragma
> comment(lib, "libcruft.dll.a")
> #pragma
> comment(lib, "liboctave.dll.a")
> #pragma
> comment(lib, "liboctinterp.dll.a")

OK.

>> Then, I manually rename the dll file to a mex file.
> Not sure VC++ will still be able to locate debug symbols (.pdb files) when
> you rename files. In the VC++ window, you should be able to see a list of
> modules loaded, as well as whether VC++ was able to load debug symbols. This
> should at least tell you whether the .pdb file corresponding to your MEX has
> been loaded or not.
>
> How to check this?

This is just explained in the lines above.
In the VC++ GUI, there's a "Modules" window (you need to have a
running process to see it, either by starting it from the GUI or by
attaching to an existing process). That window contains a list of
modules loaded for the current process. One of the column (scroll
right if you don't see it) is called "Symbol Status"; this will tell
you whether the .pdb files have been correctly loaded.

Michael.