Re: Debugging octave mex files

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Debugging octave mex files
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 22:39:20 +0000

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 10:25 PM, Trigui, Hafedh (OTT)
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I downloaded octave from http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/download.html
> more than a year ago.
> I never touched the source code of octave. I am just a user of octave.

The main question is: how did you compile your MEX file?
I'm gonna assume you used the "mex" command at octave prompt. If yes,
this means you didn't compile the MEX file with VC++, but with MinGW,
which is the compiler that was used to create the octave release
you're using. This also means you can't debug it using VC++. You need
to use MinGW gdb for that.
OTOH if you manage to use VC++ to compile and link your MEX file
against the octave libraries (theoretically this is possible as the
MEX interface is C-only), then normally you should be able to debug
with VC++, but only the code that's in your MEX file. However, I would
not recommend such combination of compilers, as you'll end up mixing C
runtime DLL's, leading to various problems at runtime.

Michael.