Re: octave code => embedded device

From: Penfold
Subject: Re: octave code => embedded device
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 01:42:03 -0800 (PST)

I have used Octave to develop some simple FIR/IIR filters for use in embedded
applications which are easy enough to implement in C. Trying to use Octave
code may create more problems than it solves. I'm no software expert but as
an electronics engineer I can offer some advice;

Unless your embedded device is running an Operating System (uCLinux,
perhaps) which handles memory allocation for you then I would definetly try
to avoid dynamic memory allocation. You could write your own memory manager
but for all but the simplest cases you could really get bogged down in that.

If your target platform is "bare metal" (ARM EABI, perhaps) then try to
allocate memory buffers once at the start of the program, can you share
buffers to reduce memory requirements? If your filter can be implemented as
FIR/IIR operating on vectors then filter(), mean(), median() should not be
too difficult to implement in C without using Octave code.

Ofcourse, using Octave code would also make your embedded application
subject to GPL. But you knew that..