Octave-3.4.3 64-bit indexing

From: Joe Smith
Subject: Octave-3.4.3 64-bit indexing
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 10:26:45 -0800 (PST)

This is my first post to this list.  If this is the wrong place to post questions, feel free to correct me.

I am trying to build Octave 3.4.3 on Ubuntu 10.04.  I am using lapack-3.4.0, suitesparse-3.6.1.   This is on an Intel Xeon W3680.  I attempted to follow the instructions on wiki but have not had any luck getting it working.   I rebuilt  lapack, standard blas, suitesparse using the 64-bit settings.  I copied the libs (renamed the suitesparse ones to match octave defaults) and ran the configuration using the 64-bit setting and pointing to my lapack, blas and suitesparse.  This appears to be fine.  No errors about the blas not being 64-bit.   I build Octave it that seems fine but when I run make check it fails with the following:

src/DLD-FUNCTIONS/chol.cc  .......panic: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself ...

If I run:
./run-octave -g
run
octave:2> cd tests
octave:2> fntests

I see:
src/DLD-FUNCTIONS/chol.cc .......
0x00007ffff5b9339a in ztrsv_ () from /usr/src/octave-3.4.3/libcruft/.libs/libcruft.so.0

Any help anyone can provide to get Octave working would be great.    I have next to no programming skills, so if there is something you need me to try, please provide as many details as possible.

Thanks