function preference order

From: Matyas Sustik
Subject: function preference order
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 21:01:26 -0600

Hi All,

The function preference order according to the docs is:
 .oct, .mex, .m

I have an m-file in the current directory and a mex file with the
same name in a subdirectory that was added by addpath.  I expected
the mex file to run, but in fact the m-file does.  (If I rename the .m file
the mex file indeed runs.)

Is that the expected behaviour or is this a bug I should report?

Or should I somehow tell octave the order of the directories searched?
Thanks!
-Matyas