Re: weighted residuals are not real

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: weighted residuals are not real
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 08:21:53 -0500

On Nov 18, 2011, at 7:10 AM, preeti gaikwad wrote:

> On 18 November 2011 12:55, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On Nov 18, 2011, at 6:30 AM, preeti gaikwad <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>>     I am thee new user of octave could u please help me?
>>> I am getting this error using "
>>> weighted residuals are not real
>>> error: called from:
>>> error:   /usr/share/octave/packages/3.2/optim-1.0.12/leasqr.m at line 394,
>>> colu
>>> mn 4"
>>>
>>> do not understand why using leasqr to fit my data.....when I hv 20 points i
>>> dont hv this problem but still it is not fitting well but if i reduce some
>>> points i m getting this error....could u please tell me why it is so?
>>
>> Can you show us what you did to cause this error?
>>
>> Perhaps a simple example we can try ourselves?
>>
>> Ben
>
> Function body:::::::::::::::::::::
>

> function F = trans_fnc(x,p) %
>
> if nargin~=2
>    error('This function is waiting for 2 arguments')
> end
>
> ls = p(1); % in um
> la = p(2);% in um
> offset = 0.0;
> c=0.3; %speed of light in um/fs
> n1 = 1.05;                       % average refractive index
> n2 = 1;
> R =((n1-n2)/(n1+n2))^2;
> z0 = (2/3)*ls*(1+R)/(1-R);
> ze = (la/2)*log((1+(1/la)*z0)/(1-(1/la)*z0));
> zp = ze;
> %% model function:
> F =1.0./( (la/ze)*sinh((zp+ze)/la)*sinh(ze/la)./sinh(((x+offset)+2*ze)/la));
> % inverse transmittance
>  This is my function body and then I have to find the value of ls and la I
> have x value and y but for particular x value it is fitting but for some x
> its not fitting.....
>
> where using leasqr as follows
> for i=1:nr  % i is the LAMBDA VARIABLE
>       y=1./T(i,:);
>       %% start leasqr, be sure that 'verbose' is not set
>       global verbose; verbose = false;
>       [f, p] = leasqr (x, y, pin,'trans_fnc', tolerance, max_iterations,
> weights, dp, dFdp, options);
>       ls(i) = p(1);
>       la(i) = p(2);
>       fit(i,:) = f;
>
> end
>
> importantly i do not understand how to fixed the weighted residual in my case
> it is
> weights = ones (1, nc);
>
>  where nc is column value for y
> thanks for ur help in advance

Please reply at the bottom of the email so that those arrive later can follow
along. Also, these emails are archived in several places on the web. Using
plain text ensures they'll be reproduced accurately. So, please don't post in
html or rtf.

Regarding you problem can you provide all the inputs to leasqr?

Ben