Re: Vector with >2^32 elements in 64 bit octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Vector with >2^32 elements in 64 bit octave
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 12:56:54 -0500

On  9-Nov-2011, c. wrote:

| On 9 Nov 2011, at 11:02, Johan Lans wrote:
|
| > Hi
| >  I want to make a calculation with a vector larger than 2^32 elements.
| > To be able to do this I've gotten access to a 64bit computer with a lot of
RAM,
| > and installed octave 3.0.1. However, when I do
| >
| > octave:27> n = [1:2^31];
| >
| > I get:
| >
| > error: invalid range
| > error: evaluating assignment expression near line 27, column 3
| >
| > Why is this? I have "Octave was configured for "x86_64-pc-linux-gnu".",
| > and there is no problem doing x=int64(2^40), for example.
| > I'm not sure if I can install a newer version of octave, since I don't have
root access.

| > /Johan
|
| To do that you have to use a copy of Octave built with the option:
|
| --enable-64             (EXPERIMENTAL) use 64-bit integers for array
|                           dimensions and indexing
|
| Which seems to be off in the version you are using.
|
| If you cannot convince your system administrator to install a binary built
with that option
| you will have to compile Octave yourself, this can be done even without root
access.

If you would like to try building Octave with the --enable-64
configure option, please read the section in the Octave manual about
installing Octave with this option:

http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Compiling-Octave-with-64_002dbit-Indexing.html#Compiling-Octave-with-64_002dbit-Indexing

jwe