Re: Can't install octave-forge packages in a 32-bit OS X build, but can

From: Alexander Hansen
Subject: Re: Can't install octave-forge packages in a 32-bit OS X build, but can in a 64-bit one
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 09:46:26 -0500

On 11/6/11 1:59 PM, Alexander Hansen wrote:
> On 11/6/11 1:10 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

>>> Well and good, but can you install octave-forge packages?  _That's_ the
>>> problem I'm having.
>>>
>>> Octave _builds_, with minimal warnings, for me.  And the builds look
>>> pretty much the same on i386, where pkg won't install anything, and on
>>> x86_64, where pkg works.
>>
>> I plan to build using a script that closely follows the Fink info file, and
>> check that the cs-list problem is absent.
>>
>> Once that works, I'll modify the octave343.info file and build and install
>> with that.
>>
>> At that point, I'll be able to try to install a package.
>>
>> My builds are slow (> 1hr) and can only try in my spare time. I expect my
>> progress will be slow.
>>
>> Ben
>>

> In parallel, I'm doing to do rebuilds of identical Octave-3.4.3 variants
> (with atlas and using fltk-x11) on cleaned-out 32-bit and 64-bit setups
> on the same machine:
>
> 1)  To make sure that the same packages are installed by both Finks.
> 2)  To make sure that any external stuff from the system is identical.

My results were the same as before:  32-bit doesn't allow octave-forge
packages to be installed, 64-bit does.

I've posted build logs, build directories (unpacked and as tarballs) and
the output of 'octave_config_info' for both cases at

http://akh.users.finkproject.org/finklogs/logfiles/octave-3.4.3/
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison