Re: Can't install octave-forge packages in a 32-bit OS X build, but can

From: Alexander Hansen
Subject: Re: Can't install octave-forge packages in a 32-bit OS X build, but can in a 64-bit one
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2011 14:52:48 -0400

On 11/5/11 1:04 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
> On Nov 5, 2011, at 12:09 PM, Alexander Hansen wrote:
>
>> I tried to build it by hand on 10.5/i386 but the compiler
>> choked:
>
> I haven't tried to build the sources on 10.5 since 10.6 was
> released.
>
> I won't have access to my Mac with Fink installed on it until later
> today. But I did find the scripts I used to build 32bit Octave on
> MacOS 10.6. If you're working on this problem today, these script
> might be helpful (?).
>
> I used build_octave.sh to build from the developers sources, and
> build_release.sh to build the releases (which doesn't require
> ./autogen.sh and its dependencies).
>
> Also, after reviewing some old emails, I was reminded that we saw
> the cs-list error before. Have you included "-ff2c" in FFLAGS?
>
> Ben

In this particular case, no.  Our (other folks and myself) understanding
was that -ff2c was needed when building against the vecLib framework,
but we found that it caused problems when using atlas instead.

However, the results were the same whether or not it was an
atlas-enabled build, i.e. whether or not -ff2c was used.  -ff2c
was _not_ used on the 64-bit builds on 10.5 and 10.6, because atlas was
the only option since the configure check gave errors in the interaction
of the Fortran compiler with SDOT from the vecLib framework.  -ff2c
_was_ used on the 10.7 (only x86_64) build, because atlas isn't
available there yet in Fink.

--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison