Re: gnuplot settings in Octave

From: Ron Crummett
Subject: Re: gnuplot settings in Octave
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 23:33:51 -0700

Okay, this is great. I've managed to get the plot window to the size I want. What other properties can I set like this?

I'm still having problems with the TeX interpreter; I wonder if it may be a font issue. When I try to annotate a plot I see everything displayed in the "default" gnuplot font, although I've tried to change it to something else. And no symbols when I wanted them.

When I tried to print the figure (save it as jpeg), I got the following error multiple times (one for each text string, I believe):

gdImageStringFT: Could not find/open font while printing string <string> with font <font>

Any idea what this is about, and what I need to do to fix it?

Thanks again!

-Ron

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 5:47 AM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

On Nov 3, 2011, at 2:32 AM, Ron Crummett wrote:

> First of all, thanks for the advice. I like this.
>
> Now, for the suggestions:
>
> get(gcf, 'position')
>
> returned [300 200 560 420]. Also, a plot window opened. So I tried to add the following to my .octaverc file:
>
> set(gcf, 'position', [0 0 200 200]);
>
> When I restarted Octave a plot window immediately opened in the lower left-hand corner (0, 0), and based on the size I'm guessing it was 200x200. But when I tried to open a second figure it was at the same location and same size as the default position.
>
> I'd like for all plot windows to be at the location and size I specify, and I'd prefer to not have a plot window open up each time I start Octave. Is there something more that needs to be done with this?
>
> Regarding the TeX interpreter:
>
> get(gca, 'interpreter')
>
> returns 'ans=none'
>
> So it looks as though there is no interpreter. I tried the command
>
> set(gca, 'interpreter', 'tex')
>
> and nothing changed. In fact, running a second time the command
>
> get(gca, 'interpreter')
>
> still returned 'none' for the answer.
>
> I'm guessing that the answers to my two questions are related, but how to get those answers, any and all help is appreciated. Thanks again!
>
> -Ron

To change the default figure position you'll need to modify the root.

       set (0, "defaultfigureposition", [0 0 200 200])

If you set the "position" property for the current figure, it will only effect that single figure ... after it creates the figure.

My .octaverc includes the lines below. They each produce the desired effect.

  set (0, "defaultaxesfontname", "Helvetica")
  set (0, "defaulttextfontname", "Helvetica")
  set (0, "defaultaxesfontsize", 12)
  set (0, "defaulttextfontsize", 12)
  set (0, "defaultaxesinterpreter", "tex")
  set (0, "defaultfigurepapertype", "usletter")
  set (0, "defaultfigureposition", [440 280 560 420])

Ben