display:not defined for class "double"

From: Loris
Subject: display:not defined for class "double"
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 11:59:24 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I found that octave display function cannot show the most of the data type.
As example:

/octave:13> display 'pluto';
error: display: not defined for class "char"
error: called from:
error:
C:\Octave\Octave3.4.2_gcc4.5.2\share\octave\3.4.2\m\general\display.m at
line 37, column 5
octave:13> display (10)
error: display: not defined for class "double"
error: called from:
error:
C:\Octave\Octave3.4.2_gcc4.5.2\share\octave\3.4.2\m\general\display.m at
line 37, column 5
/

the same in matlab behave "correctly".
/>> display 'pluto'
pluto
>> display (10)

ans =

    10/

Since I used display to print results in terminal window, I masked the
function, changing call for display in call to disp().

Question is.. is it a bug or an expected behaviour?
Are there plans to fix it or make it behave like matlab in future?

Thanks, Loris.