Building Octave 3.4.3 for 64-bit Ubuntu 10.11

From: mm7
Subject: Building Octave 3.4.3 for 64-bit Ubuntu 10.11
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 12:59:59 -0700 (PDT)

Hi.

I want to build Octave 3.4.3 from sources, since the package included in
Ubuntu is old.

I want to target Octave to 64-bit Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot).

I have problems, which I think may be partially related to the way Ubuntu
installs and ldconfig's 64-bit libs.  (I've had problems with other software
I build.)  The configure script for Octave does not find readline (!) even
though 64-bit versions of both readline5 and readline6 are installed.

So instead of bothering the list with a potentially endless list of
problems, let me just ask if anyone has built Octave for 64-bit Ubuntu?

Thanks!