Re: FYI: Octave being used for gigantic online course

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: FYI: Octave being used for gigantic online course
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 11:11:29 -0500

2011/10/20 Doug Stewart <address@hidden>:
> 2011/10/20 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>
>>
>> As you may already know, Octave is being used for the online machine
>> learning class given at Stanford:
>>
>>     http://www.ml-class.org/course/resources/index?page=course-info
>>
>> This is probably the biggest exposure Octave has ever had all at once
>> amongst students. Expect to see students enrolled in the class showing
>> up with questions on the Octave mailing lists. We've already had a few
>> of them asking questions here.
>
> How many students are in the course?

It's hard to say. About 1e3 people are participating in the online
discussion forums. About 7e4 seem to have enrolled for the course, but
there were two streams, and only people on the advanced stream have
committed to submitting assignments.

My estimate is around 5e3 people are actively using Octave right now
for the very first time.

- Jordi G. H.