Re: Passing pointers from mex->octave->mex

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Passing pointers from mex->octave->mex
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 13:58:28 +0100

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 1:39 PM, José Vallet <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have a C library with which I can create and manipulate some structures.
> What I would like to do (from octave):
>
> 1 - Call the C function that creates the structure, and somehow store a
> pointer to the structure for later use.
> 2 - Do some other things
> 3 - Call another C function from the library that will manipulate the
> created structure. Therefore I need to pass the pointer to the structure
>
> How to make octave to store a pointer to a structure created in a mex file
> and how to pass that pointer to another mex file?

I had to solve a similar problem and simply stored pointers as uint32
or uint64 in octave (depending on the architecture). Then the C code
does conversion to/from actual pointers. Not very elegant, but it works.

There's some discussion about having a proper pointer type in octave,
but that won't help in real MEX files; this would only be available in
OCT files.

Michael.